Packing boxes can be quite a chore. There are so many different ways to pack a box, but there are only a few ways to make sure you are able to protect your property.
Here Are Some Tips for Packing Boxes:
- Stay organized: Before putting your things in a box, make a list and assign each item to its respective box. Make labels for each box and attach these labels to all sides of the box as well as the top of the box. When making your list, also write down the estimated replacement value for each, particularly if you want to ensure your things. If there are breakables, place “fragile” stickers on the box.
- Use no more than two sizes of boxes: This way, stacking the boxes will be easier and more organized. Boxes should be sturdy enough that the bottom box can withstand the weight of all the other boxes being stacked on top of it.
- Keep your items safe: As often as possible, put your items in boxes to prevent them from getting dusty.
- Try not to waste space: Fill up the entire box but not all with heavy materials. You need to fill up a box completely to avoid its tendency to collapse or tip over. However, you should avoid filling it up with heavy items so that it won’t be hard for you to carry. When packing, fill the box with the heavy items first and then fill it to capacity with lighter items.
- Avoid using plastic bags: Putting items in sealed plastic bags may seem like a good idea but it can actually invite mildew.
- Pack books smart: When packing books, use smaller book boxes rather than putting them all in one large box. Store the books flat in the boxes rather than standing on end so that their spines will not be damaged.
- Avoid a watery mess: Freezers and refrigerators should be stored with the door slightly open. Electrical appliances should be completely dry–defrost freezers and refrigerators, drain washing machines completely.
- Pad your breakables: Pack breakables in bubble wrap or packing paper. Wrap mirrors and picture frames with bubble wrap.
- Use wardrobe boxes: When packing clothes we recommend that you make use of clothes or wardrobe boxes where you can. Hang the clothes inside to ensure that they retain their shape.
- Make use of old towels or sheets: When wrapping your things, use cloth and not plastic.
- Store tools and equipment safely: When preparing metal tools and equipment for storage, you should drain these of fuel completely. A rub down with some oil will also help to prevent rust from forming.
- Seal boxes with packing tape: Sealing your boxes will help ward off dust.