Organizing a storage unit can be very difficult at times. That is why we have put together a list of some tips to help you get the most out of your storage unit.
Tips for Organizing Your Self Storage Unit:
- Plan ahead. Make a general plan of how you will place the boxes and furniture inside your storage unit before you get started.
- Pallet the ground: Before putting the boxes in, arrange raised pallets according to your plan. This will prevent rats, silverfish and ants from making their home underneath your boxes. Be sure to also thoroughly clean the storage area.
- Avoid mildew: Avoid putting in wet items as these may invite mildew, mold, and other types of water damage.
- Use shelves for storage: If there are shelves available, make use of them! Store smaller items or things you would like to keep handy.
- Store smart: Store mirrors and frames standing on end, never flat.
- Maintain accessibility: Stack boxes in such a way that each box can be easily accessed. Don’t store stacks and stacks of boxes together. Make an aisle that will allow you to access a box without having to move anything out of the way.
- Keep important things front and center: Place the boxes with the things that you’ll most frequently need at the front part of a storage unit.
- Dismantle furniture to save space: For instance, to store a table, you can remove the legs. Just be sure that all bolts and screws are kept in a labeled container and that you actually know how to put the piece of furniture back again.
- Save space: Create more space in your storage box by using the hollow areas of big furniture. For instance, you can put in a box or two inside a wardrobe. The same goes for refrigerators, washing machines or stoves.
- Avoid nasty situations: Place moisture absorbers, mothballs, and rat bait in key areas.